VO Workshop at the 2. Cosmology School at Kielce
This VO Day will take part on 'Saturday July 16th and Sunday July 17th 2016
This course provides a basic introduction to the Virtual Observatory. The focus will be on access and analysis of table data, images and spectra. Participants will get to use Virtual Observatory tools like Topcat, Aladin, Splat and ADQL in hands-on sessions.
The Workshop will be held by Hendrik Heinl, GAVO/ARI.
Please install the software we will use in the course in advance. All of these require Java to be installed on your machine. If you have problems during installation, don't hesitate to contact us.
- JAVA as one of
You will need a laptop and an internet connection.
The goal of the workshop is that you leave with a set of skills that enables you to
- retrieve data from the VO and how to fast access even large datasets with millions of rows/hundreds of columns
- perform a query across multiple catalogues and cross-match them
- exchange data between different VO tools
- communicate with external VO and non-VO data services
- how to use VO standards and tools and how to benefit from them
There will be time to ask questions and to bring your own use cases after the workshop and throughout the school.
Settings on the School machines
Working directory: cosmology_school
11:30 TOPCAT and Aladin with exercises
14:30 Introduction to ADQL
09:30 Use Cases